Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Treading Water

That's what I feel like I'm doing this week. I wish there were a way to type while I'm driving because that's when my thoughts have been the most organized and decipherable. Life has simply caught up with me. By the time I'm done with work and the expensive errands (dentist-need a crown; garage-brake service, oxygen sensor , oil change, yada yada yada) I've been running lately, I come home and am ready to fall into bed.

My cheerfulness has nothing to do with the election. I'm honestly just glad it's over. The ads, arguments on facebook, heated conversations in the break room at work, and constant news coverage were just a tiny bit excessive. Not a whole lot, just a little. I was pretty upset with the fact that my vote didn't seem to count due to a clerical error. Apparently I voted by absentee ballot even though I didn't request, receive, or complete one. Hmmm.....I filled out a "provisional ballot", but the guy that "helped" me was so scatter-brained and unorganized that I sincerely doubt that my paper ballot will even make it to the election board let alone get counted. I'm going to follow up in the next couple days as soon as I have time at work or get out early and don't have to go spend $300 at Saturn of FW. Convenient that the hours to call with questions re: my ballot are 8-4:30.

So...I've not posted much lately. This is not exactly an upbeat few paragraphs. It's just honest. I'm worn out and not doing a good job of catching up. One of the best things I've read in the last couple days is this.

"I will lie down in peace, and sleep;For You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.Psalm 4:8"

That's what I need to do. Go to bed and sleep in peace. Thank you, LORD, that You have a brand of peace that has nothing to do with the economy, jobs, leaders, or any sort of stress life can throw at us. In the morning I'm going to find the right side of the bed, make a list, and tackle things one at a time. That usually works best. Do what you can. The rest will be there tomorrow.

3 comments:

sherri said...

So good to read your thoughts again, Cheryl. Thanks for your honesty and resolve to have a positive outlook.

I love the verse you quoted. It brings so much comfort this week.

Mary said...

That is how I felt almost all of last month...oh and the month before. I was so excited to realize that there would be three evenings this week where the whole family could be home all night.

Things will slow down for you I'm sure but that doesn't always take the stress away. I know there are a lot of things on your mind.

I am thankful with you that peace is not confined to our circumstances. He is so gracious to provide not just comfort, but even joy in the midst of it all.

Julie said...

Cheryl - I am so sorry that so many things are going on in your life, but I am thankful that we have a God that can get us through situations with a peace we just can't understand. I'll be praying for you and for all the "stuff." Hang in there!!!